Thursday 3 May 2012

Geek at Heart

For my friends and family that know me, they know I'm abit of a geek at heart when it comes to films...
For example; Lord of the Rings, Xmen, Batman, Twilight, Iron Man, Alice in Wonderland, Avatar... You get the picture. Anything that has different/challenging makeup. Well the ultimate geek inside me has a huggeeee obsession with no other than Harry Potter.
Ever since I was little Id heard of the books and they never appealed me. I was never a massive reader and had always loved watching films on the tv. So when I heard that they had made the first book into a film we all as a family went to the cinema to see it. I was 11 years old, I remember sitting in the cinema chairs, feet not touching the floor, with my popcorn and sat for the whole 152 minutes of the Philosopher's Stone.
I remember laying in bed and believing it all, wanting to get a letter to go to Hogwarts and see this exciting world for myself.
Now 22 years old, I recognise what the films did to children like me and how they did it. They achieved what they set out to do when making that film... Making the audience believe.
The films are the biggest, most successful movies in box-office history. The following 7 films achieved different heights of magical wonder, and from my point of view make up and special effects grew better and better.

These films had a massive impact on my chosen career. When seeing the films on the big screen, you see every wrinkle on a goblins face, every hair on the giant spider Aragog, every distorted and scary detail of Voldermort's face. With out the skills of the crew that worked on that film, they wouldn't of achieved what they wanted, it wouldn't of looked real.

For christmas just gone, me and my sister where bought tickets to go to the Warner Brothers Studio Tour - The Making of Harry Potter. I was beyond excited!!! We went last friday, and I have to admit, I was running round like a little kid!
The first bit about make up I came across was within seconds of walking out of the Great Hall. There was a make up chair with the classic bulbs around the mirror, make up in tidy piles and brushes ready to go. This got me excited from the off! The make up designer, Amanda Knight, said;
"It was like being a mum and a best friend.. We became involved in all aspects of the actors lives". Working in a close knit environment I can imagine that is how it is. This is something I want to experience for my self.
When walking around, they had a special section to show the sorts of things they used to create the prosthetic pieces for afew of the characters i.e Warwick Davies' Griphook head piece and Fenrir Grey Back's head piece. The amount of detail and time that was spent of those pieces must have taken forever to make.
When going to the tour you fully appreciate what kinda of hard work goes into making such a hit movie series like Harry Potter. If only I had been born earlier and studied earlier in make up, then I'd of done everything and anything to work on those films, with the amazing people that made it all happen.




            



No comments:

Post a Comment